HSU’s Captain Henderson House returns to greatness | Colleges and Universities
A recent restoration project has helped the historic Captain Henderson House at Henderson State University return to its original grandeur.
Funded by a grant of $ 586,688 from the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council, the project addressed a variety of exterior issues, including a failing and deteriorated roof, gutters, wooden porch columns, siding, siding. porch flooring, crown molding and crown molding.
The house has also been electrically washed and given a new coat of paint to match historic colors and mix new repairs to match existing color and detail. Missing, damaged or broken storm windows were repaired or replaced to protect wood windows.
Repairs were also made to the adjacent shed.
Meanwhile, Henderson State University is looking for a management and marketing company to manage the overall operations of the Captain Henderson House Bed and Breakfast and the event center.
The university has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) and hopes to open offers submitted on September 27.
Construction of Captain Henderson’s House was completed in 1892. The 9,000 square foot mansion was designed by Captain Charles Christopher Henderson.
In late 2000 and early 2001, it was meticulously restored to its original condition and quickly became one of Arkansas’ finest bed and breakfasts. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was also featured in the March 2005 edition of Southern Living magazine.
The Henderson House consists of eight bedrooms (six upstairs and two downstairs), each with its own private bathroom. The ground floor also includes a living room, a music room, a veranda, a conference room, a dining room, two public toilets, an office and a commercial kitchen.
It is located at the intersection of 10th and Henderson streets.